Are you planning to take that long-awaited vacation with your loved ones? Then there’s nothing like a road trip in Australia.
With mesmerizing views of landscapes and wildlife, Australia has several ideal vacation destinations. You can make your trip more enjoyable by travelling in your RV. This way, you also get to refresh yourself amidst the vast coastlines and natural surroundings of Australia.
Here are Itineraries to the Top 7 Road Trips in Australia:
1. Cairns to Brisbane
Located on the east coast, Cairns to Brisbane is a road trip worth cherishing. The route is surrounded by gorgeous islands, beaches, and lush greens. You can enjoy stunning waterfalls, swimming spots, and national parks along your way. You can also try adventurous activities like hiking, bungee jumping in Queensland.
- Must-Visit: Eungella National Park, Fraser Island, Mission Beach, Whitsunday Islands
- Best Time to Travel: Between June to September
- Duration: Minimum 2 weeks
2. Brisbane to Sydney
A road trip from Brisbane to Sydney is a perfect coastal drive. The route lies along the pacific coast of Australia. You can enjoy scenic coastal towns, pristine beaches, and cosmopolitan culture in Sydney. The route gives you stunning beaches like Seal Rocks Beach, Nobbys Beach etc. to stop by.
- Must-Visit: Hunter Valley, Yamba, Opera House, Byron Bay, Lennox Head
- Best Time to Travel: Between Spring (September to November) or Autumn(March to May)
- Duration: 5-6 days
3. Melbourne to Adelaide
The route from Melbourne to Adelaide stretches along the Great Ocean Road. A beautiful coastal drive will rejuvenate you fully. You can stop by Lorne, which is an excellent spot for surfers. The road trip will give you plenty of options to explore amazing cafes, natural reserves of flora and fauna, and much more.
- Must-Visit: Tower Hill Reserve, Victor Harbour, London Bridge, 12 Apostles
- Best Time to Travel: Between December to January
- Duration: 3 Days
4. Adelaide to Darwin
The route from Adelaide to Darwin covers the Stuart Highway. You can take stops and revive yourself in Kings Canyon, Alice Springs, and Kakadu along the way. You also get to explore the lesser-known places in Australia, and it almost seems like visiting a different country altogether.
- Must-Visit: Flinders Ranges, Katherine Gorge, Litchfield National Park
- Best Time to Travel: Between April to early October
- Duration: 10-12 days
5. Adelaide to Perth
The route takes you through the southern coast of Australia. It is a long drive, but worth it! The scenic view and open roads will give you a breath of fresh air. You can take stops in the south and Western Australia. Make sure to visit Cape Le Grand National Park to enjoy its coastal beauty.
- Must-Visit: Albany, Esperance, Cape Le Grand National Park, Kalgoorlie
- Best Time to Travel: Between July to September
- Duration: 10 Days
Tasmania is famous for its mountainous landscapes, coastal beauty, and diverse wildlife. A road trip is a perfect way to explore the history and culture of this place. Stop here to enjoy hiking, terrific food, beautiful beaches, lofty mountains, and picturesque views.
- Must-Visit: Wineglass Bay, Port Arthur, Table Mountain, Hobart
- Best Time to Travel: Between December to April
- Duration: 9-10 Days
7. Perth to Broome
Perth to Broome is one of the most exciting drives that you can take in Australia. You can explore the wilderness of Australia. The route takes you through beautiful National parks and peaceful beaches. You get to see some of the gorgeous parts of Western Australia.
- Must-Visit: Monkey Mia, Nambung National Park, Shark Bay, Ningaloo Reef
- Best Time to Travel: Between September to November & March to May
- Duration: 12 days
Proper research and planning will be helpful to you. A road trip is a cost-efficient way to travel and enjoy some of the most blissfully quiet and vibrant places in Australia.
Danny Smith is CEO and Founder of XtendOutdoors Australia which manufactures and sell caravan annexes, awnings and accessories. He just love caravan holidays and frequently blog about caravanning trips, parks and tips.